Sunday, October 12, 2008

ABDC America's Best Dance Crew


Having enjoyed all the ABDC season 2 episodes on MTV's website, I decided to go see the after-season touring show in Oakland last night. ABDC, the TV show, is a dance contest where hopeful crews (ensembles) compete on air each week in elimination rounds until there is only 1 winning crew. The show challenges the versatility of the competitors by specifying a different theme each week (all within the realm of popular 'urban' dance). I particularly liked 'Fanny Pak' who were the most artistic and original and 'Supercr3w' a BBoy (breakdance) crew. The touring show is a dance show with this season's winners 'Supercr3w', last season's winners 'JabbaWockeeZ' and some of this season's non-winners (including Fanny Pak).

I decided to leave my camera at home, expecting to find the usual 'no cameras, no recording devices' rule.. WRONG ! There were cameras galore and fans filming the event to their heart's content.. a sea of small camera phone screens lit up the seats in front of me. This is true viral marketing at work. All of their friends will be seeing the videos and the buzz will propagate. Contrast this with my attempt to get a picture of an Operatic Soprano Diva (Anna Netrebko) at a recital some years ago. I wanted to share the thrill of the experience with some of my overseas work colleagues. The concert hall staff descended on me and demanded that I erase the picture.. You guys just don't get it. I could've generated more buzz and fans for her if you'd let me indulge my enthusiasm ! You think that you're protecting something and maintaining it's value, but what you're really doing is strangling it of life. My overseas friends will probably never go and hear her sing, because they haven't felt the buzz !

Speaking of enthusiasm the ABDC crowd was a screaming mass of youthful enthusiasm. Some of them didn't even seem to be interested in the dancing, they were enthused just to be there in the same space as their idols. Reminds me of scenes of old Beatle concerts full of screaming fans (music ? what music ? It's Paul ! aghhhhhhhhh). This bodes well for the future of dancing I think !

p.s. In one number one of the ladies (from A.S.I.I.D. (And So It Is Done) ?) danced a number while almost entirely on the tips of her toes, 'En Pointe', Nicely done !

No comments: